During the winter, while you're all curled up in the warm, central heating on full blast eating comfort food and watching boxed sets of US dramas; it's easy to forget your poor neglected patio. Here are a few ways to make it up to your patio and pamper your paved areas when the weather starts to improve and you want to sit outside again.
1. Clear your patio of any furniture, toys, broken twigs, branches, pots and plants and give it a good sweep with a stiff brush. Try brushing the cracks to remove loose weeds.
2. Carry out some more judicious and deep weeding. If you have loose paving slabs, get a weeding tool to remove the weeds between slabs.
3. If you have a pressure washer, this is the time to get it out and carry out a deep clean of your stones or slabs. Most pressure washers will have the appropriate tool, a 'fan' type spray for general cleaning and a 'high-pressure' nozzle for stubborn stains. Some even have special patio cleaners with enclosed brushes and nozzle to avoid splashback. (See image below)
N.B. Always make sure you look at the manual and follow manufacturers instructions before carrying out this task - high pressure nozzles can cause damage to some materials if used incorrectly.
4. Now check for serious cracks and holes. Tap away loose concrete and create good areas for filler. Fill cracks where necessary with fresh mortar.
5. Clean your patio furniture. Again, if appropriate use the pressure washer on plastic and wood (again make sure you read the instructions) or scrub down wooden furniture and re-varnish or protect it.
6. Now. put everything back, perhaps invest in some new pot plants and enjoy your outdoor space before the winter rolls around again.